Whew, you’ve finally picked the Dating Apps that suit you and your vibe. It’s now time to let the online dating world know that it’s about to get the most awesome goddess…You! Here’s some suggestions in creating a profile worthy of a goddess, and how to use your profile wisely to maximize finding your love matches.
The 10 Things that Makes Your Dating Profile Reflect Your Goddess Self
- Enlist a Friend When Creating your Profile: Creating a dating profile is not only time consuming and arduous but is also daunting for the uninitiated. You’re going to need a whole lot of support from your family and friends. So, call your bestie, pour her a glass of wine, and start typing away on your dating profile(s). Having a friend will make this process more fun, and she will provide valuable (hopefully honest!) feedback so you won’t be embarrassing yourself in your profile, much like the proverbial friend who tells you that you have “something green stuck in your teeth”.
- Select a Screen Name that is not Your Real Name: Although OkCupid has recently required users to use their real first name for their screen name, it’s best to create a screen name that is not your real name. This ensures your safety in the event you end up on a date with a creepy guy, or if things don’t end well. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that people whom you don’t want in your life can’t track you down. Speaking to the importance of selecting a good screen name in his article, “How to Create the Perfect Screen/Username“, Brandon de Hoyos noted, “Not only will this new moniker become tied to your online identity, it will affect other people’s perception of you, much like how your hair and clothes might during an in-person meeting“. If you want more valuable advice on creating the best screen/username for you, read De Hoyos article.
- Be Very Selective of Your Profile Photo:
- Do Not Use a Group Photo for Your Main Profile Photo: Let’s face it, trying to figure out who you are in a group photo is annoying and takes unnecessary time when you’re poring through hundreds of profiles. Besides, how is someone supposed to figure out who you are? If you do post a group photo as your profile picture, you’ll quickly find that most people’s reaction will be “Next”!
- Select a Photo that is Up-to-Date: Yes, it’s true that our 20-year-old selves are going to look a whole lot better than our 40-year old selves. But vanity is no excuse for posting outdated photos of yourself. This type of behavior is really false advertising which nobody appreciates. So, let’s not be like those real estate agents whose profile picture is so old that you can’t even recognize them at the open house!
- Never Post a Picture That Includes Your Child: The online dating is an adult world in which children should not be exposed to or put in peril by including pictures with them in your profile. Posting pictures that includes your child and seen by thousands of strangers is way too personal. Worse, it can create a safety issue for your child if unscrupulous hucksters have access to your child’s identity.
- Use a Photo That Captures Who You Are: The best way to convey who you are and what your interests are, is to use pictures that shows you doing an activity (hopefully your favorite one!). Try to pick one that conveys a sense of fun. Remember, “Pictures can convey a thousand words”. So, choose wisely!
- No False Stats, Please: Stating that you a 5’10 and 130 lbs. when you’re really 5’2” and 140 lbs. is downright criminal in the online dating world. Can you imagine what your match’s reaction will be when he meets you on your first date?! It will no doubt be unpleasant, uncomfortable, and embarrassing to you, while making angering your date for wasting his time. And obviously, you’ve just loss any chance for a future romantic relationship. As online dating expert, Camelia Ray, noted “A relationship that starts off with a lie is a bad idea.” Yes, we can lie on our driver’s license, but not on our dating app profile.
- Take a Positive Tone: When describing the kind of person, you’d like to meet, try to write in a positive tone. For example, instead of “I don’t want someone who doesn’t like to go out.”, how about “I really enjoy going out and would love to meet someone who is ready to hit the town.” People are attracted to pleasant individuals who have positive dispositions, not to sourpusses!
- Ask 3 “Deal Breaking” Questions To Eliminate Any Potential Incompatible Matches: There may be some issues that you feel so strongly about such as lifestyle, politics, social-economic, or religious issues that makes a relationship impossible with someone who does not share the same beliefs. In this case, it’s best to ferret out those singles who are incompatible with you by asking potential matches questions that good to the heart of your “deal breaker” issues. For example, someone who believes in socialism and loves Alexandria Occasia would most likely be a “match made in hell” with someone who is an avowed capitalist that loves Donald Trump and anything Trumpian!
- Do Not Put Any Personal Information That Jeopardizes Your Safety: There are a lot of singles on the dating apps, some good and some bad. In order to keep you and your family safe, do not put any personal information such as your home and work address, phone number, type of car you drive, or anything that could allow thieves to scam you of money or steal your identity. Read this post if you’re interested in how crooks are using dating apps to defraud or physically harm unsuspecting dates met through dating apps.
- Share Your Phone Number Wisely: For most of us, our cell phone is probably the most important thing that we own. Nowadays, with payment systems like Apple Pay or Venmo, many of us don’t even carry wallets, nor do we wear watches. Protecting the disclosure of sensitive information and keeping unwanted individuals out of your life is important for your safety and daily living. God forbid if some undesirable person obtains your phone number and begins to stalk you. Chances are you’re going to have to change your phone number which we all know is a major hassle. To avoid this situation, do not share your phone number with anyone until you absolutely trust them. Many dating sites have already addressed this issue by embedding in their phone system technology which “masks” the phone number of its dating clients. This technology allows “matching” singles the ability to call their “match” through an anonymous phone number generated by the dating site. It’s important to initially communicate through the dating site to avoid accidentally disclosing your phone number. If your dating site doesn’t have this masking technology embedded in their system, then set up a Google Number that will mask your real phone number. Remember, the next time you’re about to dial your match, stop! Use the dating app!
- Be Authentic and Let Your Personality Shine Through: Probably one of the most important pieces of advice for creating your profile is… be authentic and let your inner Goddess shine through these dating apps!
Have Fun!!! Remember life is a journey and enjoying every step of the way is important. So, grab a glass of wine with your friend, and just start typing away.
****Cocktail Chatterers, did you complete your dating profile?****
Let us know by commenting below